Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Core of Fly Fishing

by Matt Walters
Photo by David Cannon (click here for more photos by David)

What lies at the core of fly fishing?  To me it takes a look into history to the roots of human beings.  Humans were mobile nomadic creatures in the past.  We traveled great distances in the pursuit of food, shelter, and water.  We are meant to expend energy during the day and use our hands and bodies to handle manual tasks.  

Our distant ancestors lived in caves and the tasks of hunting, fishing, and gathering were just daily chores needed to sustain life.  If you didn't accomplish these life giving activities, you did not survive, period.  For some of us, these drives and instinctual habits remain alive within us in modern day society.  

Today a lot of these activities that were performed by our ancestors are gone due to the introduction of modern conveniences and technologies. They are just simply no longer needed or required activities.

I have friends ask me why I go backpacking for days in the woods, why I sit in a duck blind when it's snowing outside, or why I fly fish for hours in terrible weather only to catch a few fish (and then release them all).  These activities make me feel as though I am tapping into that relentless and powerful instinctual drive.  A drive and curiosity of what's out there that has been lost by many in our society due to the conveniences of modern day living.  

I know some friends that live this outdoor life daily. (Trust me, I am jealous).  My home is in a metropolitan area and although the fire pit out back is great, the true need of being in the wilderness is not met.  I have to get my "fix" in smaller doses on planned outings.

Fly fishing, similar to hunting, backpacking, and many other outdoor activities triggers a feeling within me like no other.  Hooking into a fish brings on a rush that is undeniable and often times a large fish will leave me shaky as the adrenaline pumps through my veins.  

Being out in nature gets me back to satisfying my instinctual need as a human being.  Sitting on a mountain top with an incredible view or staring down a foggy river at sunrise makes me truly realize how small we are in the grand scheme of things.  This viewpoint brings a different perspective to life and the world and provides clarity and insight.  It raises the question, how significant are we in the big picture as individuals.  This viewpoint helps minimize daily problems and any issues I may be facing.  For some including myself, there is also a religious connection that is made when experiencing these natural wonders. 

Fly fishing is very involved and keeps our minds constantly on the task at hand and completely in the moment.  We rely on skills that have been acquired and learned over years to make decisions.  Some of these skills. I like to believe, are instinctual and part of our DNA.  

Although catch and release is my standard and is becoming more of a common practice for most fly anglers, the pursuit of fish in a river and the thought that you could provide food and nourishment to your family and friends offers a feeling of true accomplishment. 

Being immersed in the outdoors while fly fishing is like no other feeling or experience.  I receive a feeling of gratitude and respect for being out and a part of the elements and also a sense of pride and history while enjoying one of human's oldest traditions and activities.  Not everyone experiences this same internal drive and excitement that some of us share, but I would still challenge everyone to pick up a fly rod or any other outdoor activity and head into the wilderness. You may not know what you are missing.  That instinctual drive buried deep in your core may surface.  

In closing, I'm just glad my family does not rely on me for food like our ancestors during the slow days on the river.  For now going to the local (modern) Mexican restaurant isn't that bad.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kenneth. You and I have definitely been on quite a few of these "planned outings" through the years.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete